5.19.2008

Why Did I get into Photoshop?

It pays to take initiative. I had been back off my mission for a couple of months, when Brigham Young University held a career fair. I had dropped a calculus class, could barely remember how to program, and was hating my chemistry class ... I was not on the top of my game when it came to academics because I'd been in Thailand as a Mormon missionary for 2 years. Despite my academically rusty mind, I'd heard that there were going to be internship opportunities at the career fair, so with nothing to lose I put together a resume last minute and skipped a class to peruse the booths.

Out of the 3 companies that I knew where in the bioinformatics field (my major), only one told me that I had a chance at landing an internship. I had my eye on one of the companies that didn't: ARUP Laboratories.



ARUP Laboratories is a medical testing company in Salt Lake City associated with the University of Utah. They recruiter told me that they didn't offer internships. I asked him who I would talk to if they did, and after looking at me for a moment, he gave me a contact.

The rest is history. I was offered an internship after interviewing with them and had an awesome summer rubbing shoulders with tons of scientists in their R&D department. They liked what I did so much that they kept me on as a consultant to work on small projects here and there.

Just before this summer, they said that they needed someone to design a web based database for them, and wondered if I was interested. I took the project, and because of it needed to buy adobe web design premium. Dreamweaver has been a great tool for me this summer in building the database, but along with it came Photoshop.

I didn't know squat about Photoshop before this summer, but after finding loads of tutorials online, I've learned a few things. I love graphic design and hope that I can keep up graphic and web design as a hobby or side job for years to come.

No comments: