10.12.2008

Family Picture

Well ... I haven't posted since school started (imagine that), as I haven't really been just playing around with photoshop lately. I miss the summer, but this is my last full semester of school, and I'm excited to be graduating in April.

Nevertheless, I found a project this past week. Our little family's been wanting to take a nicer picture lately, and we ended up just taking one at my inlaw's house. We set up a blanket behind us, and tried to get a pose like another picture we'd seen, but Kamryn was just a little too spirited. Katrina talks about the whole experience in our family blog. We finally got a picture we liked and this is how it turned out all finished:



I love photoshop. I found the tutorial on doing custom sepia from pshero. I like the tutorial just because you can customize the actually sepia tone instead of just using a default from a photo program.

I also took some wispies out of Trina's hair and adding some to me :)

Ading a gradient map was all I had to do to add the sepia tones.

Finally, I added a curves adjustment layer to paint with light (or in this case paint with dark). I just used the 'darker' setting for curves, making the whole picture darker ... but beacuse I only wanted the people to be darker (not the background), I added a mask and used a fuzzy brush with white to 'color' in the darkness just on us and show some more skin texture.

Overall we were really happy with the picture and have had people ask where we went to take it. When we tell people that my wife's parents took it in their kitchen, they are pretty surprised.

Here's the original:


Photoshop is Great!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Love love love this family picture of you guys. Truly a treasure. This is one that you'll frame and hang on your walls for the rest of your lives, it's that good. No surprise that people ask which professional place you went to. Simply gorgeous.

PS. Could I just say....I love that you called them wispies. You are totally married! A single guy would have no idea what those were!! :D